On: Teacher Tales--Email Logs, Volume 1




Teacher Tales:
A Compilation of Email Logs From
A Public High School Teacher, Volume 1

A Primer For the Secretary of Education's 
Review and Consideration


Entry #1…

“Sunglasses and Ice Cream Sandwiches”

June 2, 2015 11:32 AM

Four of my students showed up for finals today wearing sunglasses.  Another girl got angry with me because I wouldn’t allow her to take the exam while she was eating an ice cream sandwich.  All five of the students in question are from the same class, of course…jackpot.

Some serious scholarship on deck today…

:(

Entry #2

“Tornado Drill Ditch”

April 16, 2015 2:42 PM

Had a student ditch my class today.  How did I know she ditched second period, you ask?  I happened to see her crouching in the hall during the third period tornado drill.  Trying to play me? …nope, not today…

…BTW, so glad hon that things sound good and are benign…maybe this weekend we can kind of get back to normal…

Entry #3

“Health Scare and Sub Plans”

March 29, 2015 7:00 PM

To My Principal and Assistant Principal:

I am scheduled for additional medical testing Monday, March 30.  The course of treatment will be determined by their findings.  I have remained in the hospital all weekend, and will be here tomorrow as well.  I should have more specific release information following doctor review. 

I have forwarded lesson plans to Ms. W. for Monday, March 30.

Entry #4

“If The Sub Doesn’t Show Up”

March 19, 2015 7:50 AM

Mr. D. had a meeting today during first period…he tells the kids, “if the sub doesn’t show up, just do the assignment on the board…”

What he adds when talking to the other teachers at the meeting…”I told the kids if the sub doesn’t show up, just do the assignment on the board

…while you eat breakfast and smack each other around.”

Entry #5

“Can You Leave Early?”

January 21, 2015 11:04 AM

How much earlier?  Students leave at 2:25, and I have a last period class for which I would need a sub…NO

Entry #6

“Informational Picketing”

December 2, 2014 7:32 AM

Looks like more picketing next week

“Our next date for informational picketing will be in the morning on Friday, December 12th.  We will set up at 6:30 a.m. with official picketing time being from 6:45-7:15 a.m. ”

Entry #7

“We got each other’s backs”

November 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Me:  “If you need anything (xeroxing for your classes, babysitting, home cooked meals, etc.), I would be more than happy to come to assist.”

November 21 2014 12:20 PM

Them:  “Thanks so much…You all are my family.  I love everyone there, and I don’t think I would have survived there all these years without your support and friendship.”

Entry #8

“We Can’t Eat That Sh*&#t”

November 17, 2014 2:32 PM

Student J. is telling this story last period…he has three uncles, all released from prison last summer.  So, his family decided at the end of the summer to throw the newly released relatives a barbecue in honor of their return to the family fold.  Little did the family know that each of the men, while imprisoned, chose to become Muslim.  The men arrive at the barbecue and are proudly served the most luscious ribs ever.  Yet, they say to everyone’s chagrin…

“Ribs?  Aww, hell no…we’re Muslim…we can’t eat that sh*&#t.”

Entry #9

“Checking Your Check”

September 23, 2014 10:36 PM

Entry #10

Correspondence from the District Office:

“There have been some questions about payroll checks.  Please use the following website, so that you can learn your employee number.  You can also review all your past payroll checks too.  You can set up an account easily.  If you forgot your information to sign in, then you can also set up an account.”

Entry #11

“Teacher Flash Mob”

September 18, 2014 2:35 PM

Hi Hon,

I suck at the Homecoming flash mob practice…Mr. K. thought we were doing Tai Chi in Ms. S.’s classroom.   

I did, though, send an email to the Assistant Principal today to have Jarrell removed from my classroom.

Entry #12

“Tech No”

September 11, 2014 10:49 AM

I haven’t had a working classroom computer this a.m., so I was not able to check or send emails.

Entry #13

"The Thrill of the Drill" 

September 4, 2014 1:07 PM

Heard in our classroom the sound of drilling.  Decided I'd better go investigate the source of the noise.  Stepped out into the hall, and saw that the Student Activities Center across from us was an Operational Dentist's Office, complete with a School Mascot.  No worries, but it would have been good to know in advance.  Freaked out some of the more phobic students.   

One for the books, for sure.  Of course, I took pictures.  


Journal Image From:

https://journalsunlimited.com/product/teaching-a-teachers-journal/










No comments:

Post a Comment